CARROL L. HERRING FIRE &
EMERGENCY TRAINING INSTITUTE
CARROL L. HERRING FIRE &
EMERGENCY TRAINING INSTITUTE
**You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the forms. If you don't have it on your computer already, you may download it from adobe.com.
THE TESTING CANDIDATE:
Each candidate for certification will be one of two things:A member of a Louisiana fire department or a member of some other Louisiana emergency responder organization. In both cases, you will need to fill out the Test Request Form
* Candidates for certification must be at least eighteen (18) years of age. Identification and age are verified with a photographed ID (driver's license).
Before filling out the form please be aware that:
**The fire chief or administrator of the department/organization recommends the candidate for examination. No individual will be examined unless he/she is sponsored by a fire department/organization.
FILLING OUT THE FORM:
- The candidate can view the Certification Examinations Calendar to decide on a time and location that is convenient for them. The candidate can take any test at any one of the test sites as long as you meet the specific test requirements. The requirements for each specific examination can be found by clicking on the chosen examination listed in the list of available exams. The candidate can also view the Certification Progression Chart for helpful information.
- Walk-in registration at the test site will not be accepted.
** If the candidate is a member of a Louisiana Fire Department and does not show up for the examination, the charge will still be invoiced unless the candidate or department administrator gives the Certification program a notice.
- The fire chief or administrator of the department recommends the candidate for examination and will need to fill out the information on the test request form pertaining to them. No individual will be examined unless he/she is sponsored by a fire department/organization.
- Once the written request is filled and approved by the department/organization, the written request of examination must be turned in to the Louisiana Firefighter and Emergency Responder Certification Program by either the candidate or the department/organization thirty days prior to the examination date chosen. The mailing address and/or fax number is listed on the bottom of the test request form.
**THERE IS A FEE FOR TAKING AN EXAMINATION:
For all candidates that are not a member of a Louisiana fire department, the cost of the examination is $80 and must be paid prior to or on the day of the examination. The candidate can prepay by debit/credit card, money order, or check. The candidate can pay the day of examination by bringing a money order or check.
For all candidates that are a member of a Louisiana Fire department, the costs are as follows:
- $15/exam for Hazmat Awareness, Hazmat Operations, Firefighter I, and Firefighter II
- $30/exam for all other examinations
- These examination charges will be invoiced to the department if they are not prepaid.
What does the candidate do after the request has been submitted to the Louisiana Firefighter and Emergency Responder Certification program?
- After the Certification program receives the candidate's request, the request is then processed for approval.
- A candidate for certification must meet the prerequisite requirements as outlined by NFPA Professional Qualifications and the Louisiana Firefighter Certification Program for the certification level requested. The requirements for each specific examination can be found by clicking on the chosen examination listed in the list of available exams.
- When the request has met the requirements and received approval, a confirmation letter will be generated and sent to the fire chief, not to the candidate.
GENERAL TESTING INFORMATION:
- The completed examinations will be scored in a timely fashion, with the results being mailed within 30 days. No telephone or fax requests for results, (including pass or fail), shall be granted.
- Candidates failing two (2) cognitive (written) or manipulative (practical) examinations in a ninety (90) day period will be denied testing for ninety (90) days. Cognitive exams will require new manipulative skills evaluations after the ninety day probation period. The manipulative skills evaluations expire in ninety (90) days. Once expired, a different version of the skills evaluation should then be administered.
- The maximum amount of time for all written examinations is two (2) hours.
- Requests for testing accommodation based on disability along with a medical history should be directed to the Human Resource Manager of the Fire and Emergency Training Institute who will interact with LSU's Office of Human Resource Management to determine what accommodation, if any, is indicated.
- Dishonesty of any kind with respect to examinations, alterations of records, or attempts to use the mail to obtain certification will not be tolerated.
- Examinations must represent the student's own work and must be completed in the presence of an approved Lead Evaluator without the assistance of books, notes, devices, or outside help, unless specified otherwise in the examination directions. Candidates who give information to a dishonest candidate will be considered as culpable as the candidate being assisted.
- In keeping with the local Municipal Fire and Police Civil Service Boards of Louisiana, the Louisiana Firefighter and Emergency Responder Certification Program adopted the following statements: In the interest of protecting the integrity and security of the examinations administered by the LSU Louisiana Firefighter and Emergency Responder Certification Program, and to prevent disruptions during examinations the following policy is adopted:
"Under no circumstances will any test applicant be permitted to enter the examination room with a personal electronic or telecommunication device. Prohibited devices include, but, are not limited to: cellular telephones, digital pagers, PDA's, (Palm Pilots) digital watches with photographic capabilities, or any device capable of storing, sending or receiving data."
- The Louisiana Firefighter and Emergency Responder Certification Program is a voluntary program.
For further information, please contact
Louisiana State University
Louisiana Firefighter and Emergency Responder Certification
6868 Nicholson Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70820
Telephone 225/334-6282 or 800/256-3473 Fax 225/334-6065
GENERAL INFORMATION REGARDING THE CERTIFICATION PROCESS